The Great Cereal Debate: Soggy or Crunchy?

eatmecrunchy

It is a battle that has been waging since the early days of our marriage. I am a cereal junkie, and naturally, require a perfect cereal-to-milk ratio. If I wanted to eat my cereal dry, I’d leave the milk for some stray neighborhood cats. But I don’t. Milk is a crucial part of the enjoyment.

However.

If the cereal gets too soggy, I consider the entire contents of the bowl irretrievably ruined.

My wife, on the other hand, has been known to pour a bowl of cereal, add the milk, and then — get this! — WALK. AWAY. Sometimes she’s gone for over ten minutes! For her, the cereal isn’t ready to eat until it has the same consistency as the bowl full of mush in Goodnight Moon.

My friend Jesse pointed me to the clever bowl pictured above. The “Eatmecrunchy” features a built-in shelf that keeps the cereal crunchy by separating it from the milk. (Talk about a perfect belated birthday gift!) My only wonder is why it took so long for someone to finally solve this age-old problem.

Of course, to Kim, this heaven-sent device makes as much sense as a blanket made of sheet metal.

But what say you? Do you take your cereal markedly crunchy or milk-logged? Let us know in the comments below!

Comments

1. Dry. For decades now. As soon as I could get my own cereal, I eschewed the milk. Milk is for my tea. Plus, it’s way easier to consume the cereal when you don’t have gloppy bits sticking to your hand as you eat it straight from the box.

2. Your wife is wrong.
    That is all.

;)

3. Cereal MUST be crunchy. Unless it’s porridge, served smooth and hot with a sprinkle of brown sugar.

4. Marie says:

I agree with your wife! I love soft, soggy cereal!

5. Anonymous says:

Sorry, but sweet Kim has this one incorrect! The milk is to ad a little flavor, and cut the dryness not soggy it up! Like mayo on a sandwich…

6. Sarah Jenkins says:

I suppose it depends on what type of cereal one is consuming ;-)
    Grape Nuts can sit in a bowl for 10 minutes – and it would still be delicious.
    However, corn flakes – not a good idea to let them sit in milk for 10 minutes. :-P
    The bowl is a great idea ;-)
    Good Luck on this debate.

7. cyndi says:

8. angela says:

No debate. I love both, crunchy at first and soggy by the end.

9. Neither. Boxed cereal is awful on the whole :P. Give me eggs for breakfast any day!

• Bravo! Or blueberry buckle coffeecake, waffles, pancakes, huevos rancheros… etc, etc!

10. Lynn says:

I am flabbergasted to discover that there is even a debate. I would never have imagined that there could be people out there who actually like soggy cereal and don’t eat it just to keep it from going to waste. Kim, I guess the Myers-Briggs needs another letter!

11. Tracey says:

Crunchy for sure! I’d rather eat two small bowls to keep the crunch than one larger one and risk mush!!!

12. One of you is right. The other one is Kim :) :) :) :)

13. Bonnie says:

My husband is a “Kim”. Every morning he pours milk onto his bowl of Cheerios and then goes off to do something (check email, read a part of the morning paper) before coming back to eat. I am a “Jason”. I don’t pour that milk until I know I can immediately eat my cereal without being interrupted.