Are we afraid of curiosity because of what it (supposedly) did to the cat?
I’m searching for a reason to explain why kids are insatiably curious, while adults tend to grow less so over time. We’re conditioned in school to believe there is only one right answer and everything else is wrong. But that’s not really true in the real world, is it? For example, what’s the correct way to raise a kid? To find a job? To make dinner? To propose to your sweetheart? To host a wedding? To be a good parent?
There are a lot of right answers to those questions.
The beginning of a new year is a popular time to infuse your story with more excitement, purpose, and joy. I submit that a great way to do that is by practicing the habit of curiosity. If you made a resolution to ask more questions this year, I guarantee that your story will soar to new heights. Here are twenty to get you started:
- What if I tried something new on the menu?
- What if I applied for that position?
- What if I woke up half an hour earlier?
- What if I stopped watching the news before bed?
- What would happen if I gave TV up for a month?
- What if I started dating my spouse again?
- What if I started going to church again?
- What’s something I really need to let go of?
- What’s one thing we can do to have more fun at the office?
- How can I be a better spouse/partner/friend?
- What three things do I want to teach my kids?
- What’s my perfect day?
- What small step can I take to experience my perfect day more often?
- What are five activities that I’m too scared to do?
- Who are five people that I really should reconnect with?
- Who can I help out today?
- Where am I thinking too small?
- Is my calendar packed with stuff that really matters
- When do I feel most alive?
- Where do I most want to see change in the world?
And one more for good measure: What would happen if I took the time to actually answer all twenty of these questions?
Get curious. See where it leads.
What question would you add to this list?
[ About the Art: I’m pretty sure I’ve never drawn a cat before this one. Thankfully, the internet is like 87% cat photos, so I had a lot of reference to choose from. I think it turned out pretty good. I’m not sure where that long red string of yarn leads, but I’m just as curious to see what’s on the other end as the cat. I love the mystery that it gives this piece. (Buy the print!) ]