Have you enjoyed the summer? Last January, when you longed for a hot summer day, did you live up to those dreams that you had promised you would do once the weather was nice?
This is a friendly service announcement to notify you of a somewhat harsh reality… there are only 6 official weeks left of summer. I know families who have kids going back to school are saying, “Six! I wish…school goes back next week!” Yes, I am sorry about that.
In an attempt to fully appreciate the summer, to delight in all of the wonderfulness of summer, I am sharing a list of eight summer activities to squeeze in before summer is in our rearview mirror once again. Escape Adulthood today and enjoy before it slips away.
1. Do something to specifically enjoy the sunshine. Go on a long bike ride, walk, or lay on a raft in a pool.
2. Enjoy a classic summer food, such as corn on the cob, a snow cone, or a juicy piece of watermelon (and spit the seeds). For more ideas check out the Top 10 List of Summertime foods Jason and I shared for our tenth podcast.
3. Have a water fight. You don’t need to purchase a super soaker to make this fun. We used to use washed out shampoo, dish soap and syrup bottles. Water balloons are a blast also.
4. Do something to specifically enjoy the summer nighttime. Catch a lightening bug, play flashlight tag, or find a blanket and a friend and go star gazing.
5. Play a game outside. There are so many choices- bocce ball, beanbags, kickball, badminton, frisbee golf, etc. You can even take a page out of childhood and make one up, changing the rules as you go along.
6. Go out and enjoy a summer event- a baseball game, a county or state fair, a parade, or even a farmer’s market.
7. Take an afternoon nap outside. My preference is by a body of water.
8. Go to a drive-in movie. Now that’s enjoying summer!