As the baby bump grows bigger and the end of November seems to approach more rapidly with each day, I’m having fun reflecting on the lessons I’m learning along the way… lessons that are specific to my situation of carrying our first baby (KoJu as the RodeoClown calls him/her, “Kotecki Junior”), but these lessons can also be applied to anyone looking to live life with less stress and more fun.
2. Don’t wait until you feel stressed to de-stress. Incorporate de-stressers into your day-to-day. Simple things like singing with your favorite tunes in the car, taking a bath before bed, and shooting hoops after dinner. (It doesn’t have to be a $75 massage all of the time.)
3. Nesting is needed. Having things in order goes a long way towards helping you think clearer and more creatively.
4. Surprises are important. Not everything has to be instantly gratifying. As you can see the baby’s room is yellow… gender neutral. We have a big surprise to look forward to. Surprise those you love… just because. There’s something magical about a good surprise.
5. Accept change without resistance. Everything is evolving- relationships, feelings, responsibilities, seasons, heck- even our bodies! The sooner you roll with the punches, the better off you’ll be.
6. Enjoy the anticipation. I’m convinced that anticipation is sometimes even more exciting than the actual reality of that being anticipated. Savor it. Celebrate it. Delight in all of the joy it brings you.
7. Buck the system. Don’t live by rules that don’t exist. If everyone tells you things must go a certain way, prove them wrong.
8. Revel in family treasures. You don’t need to accumulate much in life, but honor the treasures that connect you to those you love. Those two plastic giraffes hanging on the wall also once hung in Jason’s nursery, some thirty-two years ago. So cool.
9. Don’t make excuses. Own up to the reality of your situation. Yes, I pigged out on cookies recently, but I would’ve done that pre-preggers, so it’s not fair to blame it on the baby.
It’s quite an exhilarating journey! All of life is!
By the way, if you’re wondering what inspired the giraffe theme, watch this.