Nobody typically thinks about having fun at the hospital. In fact, hospitals are a favorite a breeding ground for Adultitis. Which is a bit of a problem, because humor and laughter have been proven to significantly impact the healing process and lift the spirits of patients and their families. Not surprisingly, Adultitis and boredom really set in when hospital stays extend to days, weeks or even months. Blech.
What can be done to pass the time, keep spirits up, and have fun during these long hospital days?
That’s the question we asked Kim & Jason Nation via our newsletter and our Facebook page, and they responded with HUNDREDS of awesome ideas. Seriously, they were really, really good, and most came from real life experiences. Here are 10 of our favorites:
- Get a journal and have visitors write a FAKE story about how they met the patient, but have them sign their real name.
- Speak in a different accent every day. If a nurse comments about it, pretend to not know what she’s talking about.
- Create sock puppets that look like the hospital staff and put on a show for visitors, nurses, or fellow patients.
- Learn a new medical term each day and see how many times you can use it in conversation.
- Get to know your nurses and doctors. Ask them a different question every time you see them. Find out their favorite food. Movie. Quote. Vacation spot. Childhood hero?
- Decorate the face masks in the room. Put lips, crazy noses and other things on them with marker or lipstick.
- Make GIANT get well cards for other people in the hospital. Or make congratulations cards for people in the maternity ward.
- Scavenger hunt! Some starter ideas: A ceramic mug with coffee, used flowers, a doctor in tennis shoes, nurse on the job less than one year (or more than 20), someone who will come sing happy birthday to the patient…
- Bring in funny wigs, hats, or fake mustaches for the patient or visitors to wear.
- Make up silly stories about people who walk by the room.
Pretty good, huh? We decided to assemble the best 52 ideas we received from our fans and readers into a Kim & Jason Fun Capsule that features Adultitis-busting prescriptions for making hospital stays more fun. Reminiscent of homemade memory jars, this Fun Capsule is stuffed with 52 individually folded slips of paper, each printed with a unique idea that will brighten the day of patients of all ages, as well as their families and visitors. A super neat gift idea that looks great on the shelf, recipients can pull out a random slip whenever they are in need of a fun power up. It’s a surefire Adultitis antidote and a great way to lift spirits and bond families during difficult times and long days at the hospital.
Available only at the Kim & Jason Lemonade Stand!